Chopped Tomatoes :1
Garlic Pods : 2
Green Chilies : 3 or 4
Red Pearl Onions : 2 or 3
Red Chilies Dried : 3
Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
Curry Leaves : A few
Plain Yogurt : 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Water : 1 1/2 cup plus little bit more to beat the yogurt
- Beat the plain yogurt briefly to lighten it to a medium consistency. Pour 2 tbsp of water into it to loosen it. Set it aside.
- Heat up 1 1/2 cup of water in a sauce pan, and add chopped tomatoes in it along with sliced garlic, green chilies, a few curry leaves, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes or more till the tomatoes are thoroughly cooked, and all the flavors are blended in with the water. Keep the heat on medium. Do a salt check. If needed, add some to the beaten yogurt or to the tomato water.
- Now add the beaten yogurt and keep stirring the mixture with a wooden spoon. Do not take the hands off of it.
- Keep stirring for few minutes until you see steam coming out. Turn off the stove and remove it from the heat.
- In a separate pan add oil, splutter mustard seeds , chopped pearl onions , red chilies, and curry leaves. Fry it till it gets a nice brown color.
- Pour this seasoning over the yogurt tomato mixture and Yum!
Some may prefer a lighter consistency . If so, add more water to the yogurt mixture and loosen it.
This is a very quick and easy way of making a gravy for the rice without having to add a coconut spice mixture.
This goes best as a side with rice and, lamb or beef curry.
Left over can be kept in a tight jar in the fridge for a few days.