Boneless chicken thigh cut into small pieces : 1/2 Kg or 1lb. (or meat of your choice)
Pearl onions or shallots thinly sliced*: 280 gm or 10 oz.(see notes below)
Potato cut into cubes: 1
Coconut sliced in to small pieces : a few (optional)
Small green chilies: 4
Garlic pods: 2
Crushed ginger : 1tbsp
Curry leaves: A few
Lemon juice squeezed: 1 tbsp or more to taste
Chopped cashew nuts : A handful (optional)
Olive oil or Coconut oil : 2tbsp plus a little more
Cardamom : 2
Cloves : 2
Cinnamon stick : one small piece
Pepper cones : a few
Black pepper powder: 1/4tsp
Garam Masala : 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder : 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper Powder: 1/2 tsp
Salt : 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Cut chicken into small pieces, pat dry it and marinate it.
- Boil the potatoes along with enough water and salt and set aside.
- Prepare all the other ingredients as shown above.
- Heat the pan and add 2 tbsp of coconut oil or olive oil add 2 to 3 curry leaves for a nice aroma . Now add the chicken. Let one side cook for 5 minutes and the other side for another 5. Transfer it to a bowl. (There will be a little bit of water content)
- Using the same pan on the stove, add the coconut slices and cashews till it changes color but not brown, now add crushed ginger, garlic slices, sliced green chilies, curry leaves, and sauté for 2 minutes. Put in sliced onions and sauté it for 6 to 7 minutes on medium heat.
- While the onions are being cooked, crush and powder cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, and pepper cones and add it to the mix along with the garam masala powder, pepper powder and the remaining oil. Mix it along with the chicken and potatoes . Lower heat and add lemon juice. Let it sit for few minutes and enjoy!
Pearl onions or shallots can be prepared ahead of time for convenience or preferably while watching ‘Ice Age 3’ to laugh and cry at the same time and to save some time. Onions can be kept in the fridge in a plastic bag or a container for later use.
Those that are less tolerant to spices please bear in mind that this dish is spicy, please be discreet in the use of green chilies, red pepper powder, and pepper powder. Feel free to reduce the amount or even eliminate some if necessary.