Finely Chopped Onions :1
Green Chilies :3 or 4
Red pearl onions :3
Curry Leaves : A few
Coconut Oil : 1tbsp
Mustard Seeds :1 tsp
Salt: To taste
- Finely chop onions, green chilies, red pearl onions and set aside. Set aside some curry leaves also.
- Finely grate the carrot and potato separately as shown in the picture above.
- Heat the pan on medium heat.
- When it gets hot, pour the oil. Reduce the heat right away.
- Add mustard seeds, a few curry leaves, and the chopped pearl onions for seasoning.
- As the onion gets browned(see picture above), add the finely chopped onions and green chilies and a few more curry leaves to it and sauté for a minute.
- Add potatoes along with some salt and cook for 10 minutes or more until it is almost cooked. Sprinkle some water around through the edges of the pan. At this point reduce the heat to medium low to prevent the potatoes from sticking at the bottom of the pan.
- Now add the grated carrots and the coconuts together. Make sure to check the seasoning.
- Carrots and coconut together cooks in another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix them all together make it into a pile and cook it on low heat till it is well cooked.
This is a dry version that does not require water. If potatoes need some water just sprinkle some around, but not adding too much.Keep checking the bottom of the pan to make sure that it is not burning. If it tends to burn, sprinkle a little bit of water as mentioned above through the edges of the pan and around the mixture.
This doesn’t need to be covered at any time.
Ensure that the potatoes are cooked well before adding carrots.
Make sure the heat is on low while cooking potatoes and carrots.
The slower it cooks the better it tastes and it prevents burning.
Making this with a big handful of red pearl onions instead of the savala or big onions will give it a better flavor.
Adding some cooked green peas or edamame will give it a beautiful look. You may add it along with the carrots or just 1 minute before you turn the stove off. Let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
My meal for this day was rose matta rice with thoran curry, Tomato yogurt curry and pappadam. Nice Vegetarian meal on a hot summer day. Enjoy!