Moong Dal:1/2 cup
Salt: 1/2 tsp or To taste
Shallots : A few for grinding and seasoning
Curry Leaves: A few
Coconut Grated : 1/4 cup or more
Green Chilies : 4
Garlic Pods : 1 or 2
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Red Dried Chilies : 3
Water : 11/4 cup
Turmeric Powder:1/4 tsp
- Wash and remove any foreign materials from moong dal. Pressure cook the dal for up to 3 to 4 whistles.(Know your pressure cooker well). Water level should be sufficient to cover the entire dal plus a bit more to be safe. If it is already soaked in water for 2 to 3 hours, one whistle should be sufficient.
- Grate together all the ingredients listed above, into a coarse mixture. Keep aside.
- Heat the pan with 1tbsp of oil in it. When it is heated through crack the mustard seeds in it and reduce heat. Brown thinly sliced onions, curry leaves, and some red chilies. Add turmeric powder.
- Now add the coarsely grounded mixture in to the oil and sauté for a couple of minutes till the raw smell disappear, followed by adding already cooked dal, and gently stir the mixture together and lower the heat to the full and cover and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve it with white rice or rice gruel.