Laura Ingalls Wilder, a great narrator and a story teller, grew up in the 1890s, talks about her mother cooking and baking corn bread. I sat there reading through the pages of the ‘ little house on the prairie’ and seeing it through the pages and drooling at the same time. The aroma of nice , fresh baked corn bread is simply delicious! What more can I say? I made it and loved it!!
Corn meal : 3/4 cup
All purpose flour : 1 1/4 cup
Sugar : 1/4 cup
Baking Powder : 2 tsp
Salt : 1/2 tsp
Milk : 1 cup
Egg Beaten : 1
Oil : 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease 8 or 9 inch round pan.
- Blend all dry ingredients.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until dry ingredients are moist.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Makes about 9 servings. Serve warm with stewed black eyed peas.
This recipe is as appeared on Kroger foods corn cake recipe.