Urad dal : 1/4 cup
Chana Dal : 2 tbsp
fenugreek Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Aval or Poha : 2 tbsp
- Soak all ingredients overnight except aval because it only needs an hour to soak. Grind in the order of rice first, then dal along with fenugreek seeds, chana dal, and aval together.
- Keep it overnight. Add salt after fermentation. If needed add water little by little to get a consistency of a nice batter that is not too thick or runny.
- Heat and grease an iron griddle , and pour a spoonful of batter on it till is cooked on one side and gently toss it over for few seconds or till it is done.
- To make masala dosa, spread the batter nicely around the griddle into a thin layer. Fill in with the cooked vegetable and fold from both sides like a crape.
- Boil one large peeled potato. Add 1/2 tsp of salt into it. Cut into small cubes. Slice an onion into thin layers, few green chilies slit, curry leaves, small piece of ginger finely chopped and one thinly sliced garlic pieces.
- Heat and add a table spoon of oil into a pan, crack some mustard seeds and a half teaspoon of urad dal into it, add onion first for few minutes till translucent. Afterwards add all the other ingredients till nicely cooked till it looks caramelized. Now add a 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, and a pinch of red chili powder and stir well. Add potato cubes and mix well. Check for salt. For a slightly loose consistency add a bit of water.
- Place a spoon full into the dosa and fold from both sides. Enjoy it along with sambar and coconut chutney.
To get a softer dosa, add more dal. For a crispier one, add more rice.