Recipe Source: As seen in ‘ Good Housekeeping Best Loved Desserts’ cook book.All purpose flour : 1 cup
Granulated Sugar : 1/4 cup
Salt : 1/8 tsp
Cold butter or Margarine : 6tbsp
Cold Water : 3 tbsp
Macadamia Nuts : 1 Jar
Light Brown Sugar : 2/3 cup
Large Egg : 1
Vanilla Extract : 2 tsp
Chocolate Chips : a few (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease 9 inch square baking pan. Line pan with foil. Grease foil.
- In medium bowl, with wire whisk, mix flour, sugar and salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in water, about 1 tbsp at a time, mixing lightly with fork after each addition, until dough is just moist enough to hold together. With lightly floured hand, press dough evenly on to bottom of prepared pan. With fork, prick dough at 1 inch intervals to prevent puffing and shrinking during baking.
- Bake crust until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Crust must crack slightly during baking. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Turn oven control to 375F.
- Coarsely chop 1/2 cup macadamia nuts; reserve for topping. In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse remaining macadamia nuts and brown sugar until nuts are finely ground. Add egg and vanilla. Pulse until just combined.
- Spread macadamia filling evenly over cooled crust. Sprinkle reserved chopped macadamia nuts on top. Bake until filling has set, 20 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.( At this point add chocolate chips also and bake).
- When cool, lift foil with pastry out of pan and place on cutting board; peel foil away from sides. Cut into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 4 squares. Cut each squares diagonally in half.